Only four years later

Only four years later
This is Jon in April 2010

Monday, May 10, 2010

Day 73

Wow, it's been 73 days since I received the gift of two lungs.  I feel really good and blessed to have this second chance at life. I had a clinic visit last Monday, which includes blood being drawn and a visit with the Doctor and a breathing test.  All lab results were very good, and Dr. Haddad was pleased with my progress. I received some medications via mail and along with the meds was a lot of information about post transplant. I keep reading to expect a rejection within the first year. Now, that gets the mind wondering what to expect, like what will be the symptoms? I sometimes wake up at night with a pain in my chest or excess congestion. I used to not worry about it but since the transplant you start asking yourself, is this a sign of something? How bizarre is that.  I don't let it bother me, I haven't gone off the deep end with worry, I just wonder. Went out to Firehouse Subs yesterday for Mother's Day, with Linda and her Mom, Agnes. I haven't eaten in a restaurant since before the transplant. I guess this is progress. I can't wait for the day that all of these things I used to take for granted aren't such a big deal. It's been really hot and humid here, so I haven't really wanted to get out much. I'm getting cabin fever.I think I'll post a more recent photo of myself to let you know I am getting healthy and gaining weight. The last picture looks like I already died. Not that I ever took a good photo anyway.  They never did call me pretty-boy. Life is good with me. I am able to control the mood swings, so Linda's life has got to be better. Today's lesson: call an old friend and catch up. See ya!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Ok. I know you are wondering about what would it be like to have a rejection, yet you are not worrying. BUT ! You have had your moment wondering. Now, you only get to see yourself as healed and happy. You cannot be focused on both at the same time, and when you are focused on something, the universe responds. It does not judge, it simply responds with what you are thinking, wanting, inadvertently sometimes we are focused on what we are afraid of, and not replacing it with what we want immediately. All thoughts, fears, dreams, desires etc. come into our brain at rapid fire speed. It is however, our job, to move those that are unwanted out as quickly as possible, by replacing it with a better thought no matter how small or even how outlandish. Jon, you are very powerful, and by the way, quite handsome. If no one ever told you, well they must have been embarrassed. Linda and I both agree you are and we are never wrong, as you already know. I am back from LA, and NYC until June 17th. If you are going out, then I expect some time with you. Please check your schedule, and fit me in. We can walk the beach, I can bring a picnic, and we can go to a museum or anything at all. My treat. I have some money now. :)

Suzanne said...

Good Morning again! Always good to talk to you and to laugh together. The photo is a hoot. When you told me on the phone, I pictured that type of mask. Whatever works, right? So thankful you are doing so well. You and Linda mean the world to me and if you didn't live in such a God awful hot and humid place, I'd probably just move in! Don't panic...just kidding. As I mentioned, going to Palm Desert for the weekend but am anxious to read and digest the NFT info when I return. Love you both...Suzanne, Suzanne Grinley