Only four years later

Only four years later
This is Jon in April 2010

Thursday, April 15, 2010

History IV

Later in the day I got a call from Dr. Haddad, the doctor I first met at Tampa General Hospital.  He wanted to make sure that I knew time was of the essence.  I had already spoken with Lovely Linda about the previous phone call from TGH and decided to go ahead and allow them to put me on the list for Lungs.  I was after all going downhill fast.  Bathing and dressing took my breath away.  So, when Dr. Haddad called and we spoke at length, I told him that I was ready to be put on the list.  February 10th, 2010 I was entered into the data base for lungs through the National Organ Donation Group, ( or something like that).  What a scary thought, someone else's lungs in my body.  What choice did I have?  An early death was eminent without the transplant.  And I mean within a year.  I truly believe that.  Everyone was happy that I decided to do this, but I was scared to death.  The National statistics show that with a transplant the average life expectancy is only 4.6 years.  Well, I believed I could last that long without it.  Remember, as I had to remind myself, that statistic includes everyone that has other things wrong with them.  Everything from cancer to cystic fibrosis.  I was fortunately healthy, except for those lungs.  I have found people 20 years post transplant still going strong.  I plan to be the longevity record holder with 2 transplanted lungs.  After all, I picked up 22 year younger lungs.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Yes, longevity is a given, since only the good die young. You will be here with the rest of us. Good thing Doug and I will have the Cornwall Compound up and running, so as friends and family require skilled care, we will all have it. I just don't want us all to be wiping each others butts. We will hire loving staff for that. LOL!